The Normans named the area La Hoke in the 11th century, old French for a breath of fine country air. By the 13th century, the name Hook appeared. Still for a hamlet dominated by countryside, just a few buildings along the road to the south west.
By the eighteenth century, the number of travelers increased and inns sprang up to serve them. Then came the railway, with a station opening in Hook in July 1883, a growing village soon followed.
Within 50 years, Hook reached sufficient size to become an independent civil parish, the following half century seeing further growth, which then slowed a little. Even so, Hook now holds an established population of around 7000.